* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: A mystic, an evangelical and a fundamentalist die…

Monday, 27 August 2007

A mystic, an evangelical and a fundamentalist die…

I found this wonderful anecdote in Pete Rollins’ How (not) to Speak of God today:

A mystic, an evangelical pastor and a fundamentalist preacher die on the same day and awake to find themselves by the pearly gates. Upon reaching the gates they are promptly greeted by Peter, who informs them that before entering heaven they must be interviewed by Jesus concerning the state of their doctrine. The first to be called forward is the mystic, who is quietly ushered into a room. Five hours later the mystic reappears with a smile, saying, “I thought I had got it all wrong.” Then Peter signals to the evangelical pastor, who stands up and enters the room. After a full day has passed the pastor reappears with a frown and says to himself, H“how could I have been so foolish!” Finally Peter asks the fundamentalist to follow him. The fundamentalist picks up his well-worn Bible and walks into the room. A few days pass with no sign of the preacher, then finally a door swings open and Jesus himself appears, exclaiming, “How could I have got it all wrong!”


Just a liitle jab! Teehee! :)

No comments:

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b