doubtful intelligence
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."I love this quote. Seems to be true of most progressive people (and faiths) that I know. A big struggle within Quakers is that there is no emphasis on telling people what Quakers believe (because you can only find it out for yourself/there is 'that of God' within you) yet many of the young members' frsutration with the Society comes from the lack of explicit teaching of Quaker principles and values. How do you teach your truth humbly, with the knowledge that there may well be other 'right' ways, and the aim that people think for themselves?-- Bertrand Russel
Russel seems to be pretty sure of his intelligent opinions though!










3 comments:
Hey, howzit! I was biginning to worry your blog was dead! Good point. I've been reading all sorts of "progressives" lately, and the most annoying thing is that there seems to be a lot of deep talk and very little of it is practical. This the exact opposite of what I imagined I'd find reading "emergents" and stuff. The one exception is "sarcastic lutheran" (find the link on my blog). She's a kinda sacramental progressive... or something. I read last night what origen (or lactantius) said: "We are philosophers indeed... but not in word - only in deed" He was complaining about the religious navel-gazing going on around him... sigh. I have felt the same too often when I hit the blogosphere recently.
Dude... if this thing posts my last message three times it's cos it rejected my openid from my wordpress blog twice! sorry. My address is: http://michaelrowancurle.wordpress.com
Cheers!
hey buddy (or should i say custard)...
so good to hear from you. I had a read around your blog, and glad you found some of my friends (seethrough barry especially). I'm still wondering what to do with this blog, but put things up now and then when they grab me. I started finding it a bit navel-gazing-ish/soap-box-ranty and arrogant. But I do still think blogging can be a very constructive discipline.
Seems like your studies are going well (with all the church fathers quotes and stuff from Barth etc.) Say hey to Leane & take care.
Post a Comment