* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: tea time

Wednesday, 09 May 2007

tea time

Tomorrow there is a special "international students" coffee hour in the refectory at 10. They have asked us to address the student body and say how our year has been here, and what we find peculiar about US culture. Should be interesting! BUT, more importantly, they asked us (the internationals) to bring a dessert from our country. Yummy! There will be desserts from Korea, Mexico, England, Czech Republic, Kenya, Hungary and... yes! you guessed it - South Africa!

Koeksusters were just way out of my league, so... I got all patriotic (and Afrikaans) and, armed with a recipe from Allrecipes.com, I stayed up past midnight to create...
...two big, fat, tasty Melkterts! (That's 'Milktart' for all the English folks.) Aren't you proud of me? I have a headache from licking two bowls clean. Good night. (oh, and these are real live pictures from our kitchen an hour ago.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi (or "Howzit")!
I just found your blog through Pomomusings, and it's always a joy to find people from South Africa on the web.

I saw those melkterts and almost started drooling. I'm going to have to whip up a batch this weekend.

Peace,
GKBh

Gareth said...

hey hey.. thanks for popping by. Time to check out your blog.

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b