* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: Oh no! Bad news bear.

Thursday, 13 December 2007

Oh no! Bad news bear.


No, I’m not talking about this bad news bear, but rather the bad news that Terry Pratchett has Alzheimers. I’m a huge fan of the Discworld series (trying to collect them all), and am actually currently reading Good Omens which he co-wrote with Neil Gaiman. Pratchett’s humour, satire and insights into the peculiarities of human nature always keep me entertained. This is terrible news, and I’m sure all the Discworld fans will be sad.

With his usual humour, Pratchett has said
“PS ... This should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else.”

If you haven’t come across the series (shame on you!) you really should try find one at a bookstore and get hooked. The series starts with The Light Fantastic, and The Colour of Magic, but you can jump in anywhere in the 30+ books. For those of you with theological inclinations, Small Gods is fantastic and spot on in some senses. Unfortunately you won’t find many books at second hand stores as fans don’t seem to let the books go, so it will have to be a full price investment!

Here's a map of the disc if you want to see what it's all about:

2 comments:

Jenny Hillebrand said...

Hi Gareth
I found you via Dion's blog. Good to see what you are doing now.
Bad news about Terry Pratchett. My family and I are also great fans. But I found Small Gods so depressing. However, I guess it doesn't help to hide away from what other 'intellectuals' are thinking about religion. And he is so spot on in his thinking all round!
Will check in occasionally!
Jenny

Gareth said...

Jenny!
this is a wonerful suprise! thanks for popping bye and leaving a note. Yes, i'm in CT, though still hanging out with too many Methodist ministers ;) Hope the local preaching scene is under control and that you have a great festive season.

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b