* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: soul food

Sunday, 22 June 2008

soul food

Here's some more thoughtful poetry that's been sitting with me for a while... 'cause it's good for the soul.
Mull over them, ruminate on them, sit, listen and enjoy.

Rumi
Too Full to Talk About

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase 'each other'
doesn't make any sense.

The Enlightened Heart, an Anthology of Sacred Poetry


Mary Oliver
Wild and Precious

I don’t know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed,
how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn’t everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
The Summer Day

As always, the pertinent poets come from inward/outward.

No comments:

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b