* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: dinner and dance

Tuesday, 20 February 2007

dinner and dance

I'm recovering from a rather full weekend. Matt was visiting for the weekend, and there were numerous social engagements (most of them at our house). There is still a little bit of beer left in the keg on our patio. It was a fun weekend!

I like to live reflectively, and when i stop and, well, reflect, it is very interesting to see what precipitates thoughts and questions in me. Two thought provoking instances this weekend:

On Saturday i went to a party at 'Mamma C's' house. She is the matron at the dining hall on campus, and it was a wonderful experience. I tried to rave to hip-hop music and it didn't go too well. Mamma C and her family were very welcoming to all the nervous white seminary students, and she wouldn't let us leave without taking some food home. The hospitality and generosity reminded me so much of African people back home.
Although i constantly feel a little bit of a foreigner in the US, the feeling was heightened at the party, and I came home frustrated at the inevitable misunderstandings that occur when different cultures interact. It reminded me of the differences that so coloured my life back in SA. I guess i wish everyone could just relate, and understand each other. It is painful to think that as hard as i try, i will always be a stranger at some level to any culture other than my own. I did however rather enjoy being in a 'white minority' again.

Last night my housemates and some friends and I went to a very larney restaurant: Two. urban licks. We had a wonderful time with plenty of laughs and good food. The decor was great and I especially liked the way they had used the industrial space. But, overall I found I was not that impressed. I was surprised by this. I guess i just don't really do 'high culture' food. Maybe i think all the money isn't worth it, and I can get better value somewhere else? Not really sure. One thing I know is that we ate a lot of food, and I really don't like the feeling of having eaten too much. It reminds me of Mbiti's pertinent and searing thoughts about the theology of food I guess. Maybe I'm also too thrifty, and need to celebrate more. Would I do it again? Possibly. If i could save up first. If we went on a Friday or Saturday when there was live music. If we ate less and got wine instead of the 'infusions'.

(I had a similar 'disappointment' with good food at the monastery in New Mexico. All i wanted was soup and bread. I got a three course meal with salad each day. Sometimes even wine. What a shame!)

No comments:

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b