* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: if I told you the truth about God...

Thursday, 15 February 2007

if I told you the truth about God...

If I told you the truth about God,
You might think I was an idiot.

If I lied to you about the beautiful One
You might parade me through the streets shouting,
“This guy is a genius!”

The world has its pants on backwards.
Most carry their values and knowledge in a jug
That has a big hole in it.

Thus having a clear grasp of the situation
If I am asked anything these days,
I just laugh!

Kabir (1440-1518)
In Love Poems to God, tr. Daniel Ladinsky

Thought I'd put up some poetry. I first read this poem at a youth pastors retreat with Barry. We had to meditate on it for 20 mins and come back with a question. I remember one of the questions was "what good is a jug without a hole?"
Good question.

One more idea to muse on (from Justin via Barry this time):
If grace abounds anyway, it doesn't matter who is right.

No comments:

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b