* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: growth expected next year

Tuesday, 20 November 2007

growth expected next year

Yesterday I went to Groote Schuur hospital to ask about the CPE program that I hope to do next year April. The current students are almost finished a tough course, and I’m beginning to realise that this will be a very hard program for me. The chaplaincy visits to patients, being faced with death, abortions, violence will all take its toll. However, the main challenge is the internal growth that this program is really about. I am so good at deceiving myself, avoiding the questions, running around conflict, that 3 months of intense inner growth will be tough. But, it is something that needs to be done. The supervisor told me that we aren’t allowed to read any books during the course, the only book we are reading is ourselves - the ‘living human document’ as they call it. So, God willing, I will start level one CPE in March next year. Pray that a more self aware, gentle and humble Gareth will emerge after the 3 months. Until then I’m biding my time with the SACC and maybe a stint helping organise the Design Indaba. And, as ever, playing Ultimate and enjoying Cape Town in the summer!

No comments:

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b