Sokkie 2006
Now, for a real cross-cultural experience: i found out that there is a Sokkie dance here, run by the SA crowd. I'm not sure if i'll go - i can't sokkie!
The upcoming Sokkie is finally here. Please read the message from Etnel (The Organizer) below. You better hurry if you plan on dancing with us since there are only tickets available for 55 partners, make that 54 partners since I alreay have my ticket.
Message from Etnel:
Hallo Julle, Die sokkie is gereel.
Ons dans datum is Saterdag aand, 11 November 2006 vanaf 19:30 tot 22:30. Ons hou dit weer by Take Hold . Op hulle webaddres www.takeholdballroom.com kan julle aanwysings na die saal toe kry...Ek wil probeer om Suid Afrikaanse musiek te speel. Ek sal dit baie waardeer as julle vir my van julle gunsteling musiek kan brand en aanstuur.
...Dit gaan uitloop op 'n heerlike kuier! Deel die nuus met almal in Atlanta.
Please contact Etnel for information or ticket sales.
Should I contact Etnel? ;) Real Suid Afrikaans music!
In other news - I had a great birthday yesterday! Lectures, disc golf, supper at Brickstore pub, with friends at a Wine and Dessert bar.











3 comments:
Yes, go! It sounds like it will be awesome :o) I think it's quite a common thing to experience more of your own countries culture when you're in another country, as an "expat"...
I went to Hatfield Square and went to Good4Fella's and went to the Afrikaans dancefloor. I was with Wendy and her Afrikaans friends. So I ended up being the only one in there who was not singing along to all the words of the Afrikaans love songs. Even all the rugby players knew them! I did end up "langarm" ing with a guy for about an hour. Was quite fun, actually. So go learn to sokkie, like me:)
Sokkie met jou bokkie.
Post a Comment