* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: Spot the difference

Saturday, 31 March 2007

Spot the difference

Recognise this picture?

The world according to: Land Area
And this one?
The world according to: Wealth (GDP 2002)
Something wrong?
The world according to: HIV/Aids prevalence

I recently found a wonderful website: WorldMapper -"The world as you have never seen it before". The map of the world is 'redrawn' according to various themes and data. Have a look around - its rather scary at times. Very telling are the maps of wealth, Aids, military spending and child-deaths. Very telling indeed!
These type of statistics always seem to bring to mind George Orwell's words from his political satire masterpiece Animal Farm:
"All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others."

3 comments:

Julie said...

Great post babe

Anonymous said...

Gareth,

I was looking at your quotes, and I thought I'd comment, but I couldn't find a place to comment on them, so here's my mis-filed note.

I don't know if he's the origin of the quote, but "The Kingdom is now or never" has been said by Richard Rohr, at least a few times.

Drop me a line, if you get a chance. My email is stillpoint at the URL of the place where I work. We met at the conference back at New Years.

Cheers,
Cliff

Gareth said...

Mis-filed notes are awesome! Glad you visited Cliff. I'll be sure to drop you a mail soon (when i get back next week). Say hello to the office folks there.
Oh yes, if you ever come back to the Carolinas to visit, gimme a shout too.
Cheers,
G

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b