* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: Funny Americans

Thursday, 07 September 2006

Funny Americans

Monday was a holiday (Labour Day), yesterday and today were all about orientation. I think i'm all oriented-out now. To fill the time the facilitator asked us what we found was different here than from home. My contributions (which were the majority of responses) were:

  • everything is microwaveable, instant and drive-through (even drive-thru coffee-shops, banks and chemists)
  • Atlanta is rather big and almost never sleeps. There are traffic reports on the radio 24hours a day!
  • I'm still getting used to the fact that when someone says "Hey, how are ya?" they don't want an answer. It's like our 'howsit'. I start to reply and they have walked off!
  • You don't have to look at people in the eyes when talking to them, or listening to them.
  • You don't say goodbye to people when they leave. There was a welcome Gareth party last night, and i wanted to walk folks to their car and say goodbye properly. Nope, not here.

I am trying to have a spirit of trust, openness and acceptance of the culture here, to enjoy it all. This is rather than suspicion, superiority or prejudice, so that i can better deal with the misunderstandings and confusion that will come.

Oh, Sarah (housemate) didn't enjoy the fact that all i said about her was 'maternal'. Her and Elizabeth are great. No really, i am really lucky to have it all sorted out so well. They are the life of most of the parties (because they are often held here) and bubbly, full of life and spunk. I hope those adjectives are better Sarah. Oh and she can dance too - many a London nightclub has seen that!

Tomorrow is the Convocation - some formal year start thing, and my first class starts. I'll post the classes i'm taking here next. Keep posted ;)

No comments:

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b