how are you?
A friend of mine from Pretoria emailed me to ask how I was doing. So i replied, in depth. We studied together at Tuks, and now he is Grahamstown studying and waiting to become an Anglican Priest. For those who are asking 'How G, how are you" i thought the email would help.
Hey Vernon,
Everything is fine here. As often happens, when people really ask "Are you okay" I sort of think that there should be something wrong. But I can't think of anything. Class is going well. As usual I'd enjoy it if I were more structured and disciplined with homework etc, but some things don’t change. I get frustrated when people don't understand what I'm saying (accent), and the food is very rich.
- Woah - there's quite a storm going on outside! Hail too. I'm glad I didn't stay for American Football -
I've connected with one guy, and my 2 housemates (female), but still feel somewhat groundless in not having long term friends. Because I left them all at home I guess ;) I am enjoying the classes, and beginning to feel more confident to give my opinion now and then. There are also always people who want to introduce me to people who have visited South Africa or know South Africans (sorry, long sentence). It gets a bit tiring at times.
I'm really enjoying cycling around - independent, affordable and environmentally friendly - though Atlanta is not a cyclist friendly city at all. The 'smallness' of the seminary is a blessing and a curse. There is the sense that everyone knows everything, and nothing is private. Being one of the 'international students' I'm sure there are conversations going on about me. Us foreigners do tend to stand out somewhat! With my past history here (dating Emily and visiting last year) it is also as if everyone has heard of me, and I don't even know their names!
So, overall, I'm doing very well. Thanks for asking! I watched a great movie today in the Men in Ministry class called "Around the Bend", so I'm still in the 'just got out of a movie' zone and tend to be more open and sensitive - and thankful too. I need to find a meditation place here, but there are lots of mosquitos and trees.
Take care,
G
PS - Seeing that this was such an in-depth report, I think I'll put it on my blog - is that cool with you?










1 comment:
Hey G,
Thanks for the update! The blog is looking very cool!
Just wanted to say hi ;-)
Love, Margot
Post a Comment