the book-state of gareth
Looks like those circular ‘fill in & pass-on" emails have made it into the blogosphere as memes. Adam tagged me on a ‘book-blogging’ one recently. Since he (and the person who tagged him) both have higher “technocrati authority” than me, I better oblige! I would like to plan more reading time into my life, so perhaps it’s not such a bad thing to fill out. Here then is my take on the world of books:
1. One book that changed your life
An Anglican friend of mine at university lent me his copy of Thomas Merton’s autobiography The Seven Storey Mountain. This was a godsend. Merton’s writing moved me from an almost charismatic spirituality to a more catholic one, opening up my eyes to the world of mysticism, monasticism, contemplation and the Eucharist. Thanks Vernon!
2. One book you’ve read more than once
Same as above. I also keep paging through Frederick Buechner’s Wishful Thinking for little refreshing insights and chuckles.
3. One book you’d want on a desert island
Well, obviously it would be How to Get Off a Desert Island and Raft Building 101 - the DIY issue, but it seems like the trend is for long novels. If so, I’m with Adam and Adam in thinking that you can’t go wrong with a Russian novelist.
Another option would be a great collection of poetry (Rilke, Merton, Rumi etc) or - here’s a thought- the Hebrew Bible, in Hebrew! Seriously, I’d get to immerse myself in the poetry and word play of the psalms, feel the fire of the prophets etc. And, with all the parsing of the words, it will take me an eternity to get through the book
4. Two books that made you laugh
Any Calvin and Hobbes or The Far Side collection and ALL of Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series. Especially Small Gods and anything with Rincewind the Wizzard falling off the edge of the disc. Laugh out loud stuff!
5. One book that made you cry
Victor Hugo’s Les Miserables really moved me. Gavroche, the endearing Paris street urchin’s needless death in the street revolt is a real tearjerker. So needless and so young. Sob.
6. One book you wish had been written
The Bible.
BUT - without the sexism, racism, war and legalism.
AND with a new preface entitled “Do not read fundamentally and/or use to justify oppression” written by God (or a suitably inspired emissary, preferably female).
(Now there’s an interesting insight into my Bible hang-ups! Is this neo-Marcionism?).
7. One book you wish had never been written
(Don’t laugh) I Kissed Dating Goodbye by some evangelical prude. I wasted 3 wonderful university years following his advice when I could have been learning about live and love in an actual relationship!
8. One book you’re currently reading
Almost finished After the Party by Andrew Feinstein. A behind the scenes take on SA politics and the arms deal fiasco. Full of intrigue, shady deals, international arms companies, political patronage and your usual dose of corruption. What else would you have expected. Also working (slowly) through Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder - a novel and history of Western philosophy all in one.
9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
The God Delusion. However, having heard from numerous people that Dawkins’ angry atheist evangelism is so strong, I’m a bit turned off. I don't enjoy dogmatic people no matter what side they are on. Next up is Bill Bryson’s A Short History of Nearly Everything.
10a. Where’s your favourite place to buy books
(Adam made this question up). We don’t have the array of indie bookstores here that there are in the US, but there is a guy with a little booth just below my office (in the Church Street Antique Mall) who has all the current political books at a reduced rate. I don’t want to ask where he gets them from though. The Little Shop of Stories in Atlanta gets my vote too. I used to go there for ice-cream and browsing with my CTS housemates Elizabeth and Sarah.
10b. What book do you want to shamelessly plug
(This is also Adam’s addition) Umm… who do I know that’s written a good book? Oh yes, anything by Herman Charles Bosman - great humorous South African short stories. He happened to be my grandmother’s cousin, and one of our best authors IMHO.
So, that’s my take.
Right, who’s next? Here’s a big-up tag to Aiden, Barry, Whitney, Justin and Nic. Ball’s in your court folks. (No seriously, i'm keen to see your answers.)










4 comments:
OK is there a conspiracy here or what? Not 10 minutes ago I posted in response to Rogers book query:
http://www.emergingafrica.info/blog/2008/01/24/what-are-you-reading#comment-2912
It was great to meet last night, and I look forward to much more Gareth. Next question to you is about base communities...
Might just steal this for my blog... all very interesting! A currently ploughing through the God Delusion, and so far Dawkins is as evangelical in his beliefs as I'm sure the author of 'I kissed dating goodbye' is in his. It's a mad world...
Base communities Nic? Well i know a little, but maybe together we will know a bit more.
Steal away Paddy. Mad world indeed. Seems like even the atheists have jumped on the 'fundamentalist evangelical religion' bandwagon. What i'd give for a liberal atheist these days!
I see "A Black Theology of Liberation" by James H. Cone doesn't even feature! Tragic indeed. I think you need to get reading bucko.
Post a Comment