* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow

Tuesday, 15 January 2008

procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow


Afrigator

Sorted bru, tagged by Amatomu.com

Man, the internet is a great seducer and excuse for procrastination. As you may have seen under my ‘blog-bling’ bar, I’ve been exploring the SA blogosphere some. I’ve signed up with two local blog aggregators, Afrigator and Amatomu, and now find myself constantly analysing stats and graphs and things. I’ve worked out what ‘link-love’ is, and that my Technocrati ‘authority’ is a massive 4 points! Together with an ever increasing Bloglines subscription list, there is always some new information to distract me from work. (Distracting isn’t very hard, considering ‘work’ for the next week will be transcribing tapes of the Child Rights Symposium sessions from last month.) The whole SA blog scene is rather small, full of mainly white, wealthy people, but if you do want to check it out, have a look at these two aggregators. I filed my blog under ‘religion’ on the Amatomu site, and am already at number 16 in SA! Woohoo! Thanks everyone! (please ignore the fact that it is only16 out of a total of 29 religion blogs! As i said, rather small.) Again, I’m still getting a feel for the blog world here, but it is encouraging to recognise a bunch of the names and blogs on the various lists already.

However, I do wonder what the role this online, niche, religious community can play in SA in seeking to transform the country and the ecclesial institutions.

Once I’m a fluent SA blogger, and have an answer to the above question, all that remains is to develop a healthy time management system to make sure half the day isn’t spent surfing and blogging and procrastinating - as I’m doing now! ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the fishbowl then, Gareth. I like you positive, realistic, current affairs aware outlook.

But as much as you might be lovin' it online, please do come along to Cafe Verdi tonight - http://capeconversation.wordpress.com/regulars/

Gareth said...

haha, thanks Nic. Fishbowl it is.

I scribbled your Cafe Verdi jol down on a to-do list last year sometime, so best i actually do it now! Tonight has already been booked as a 'stay at home night' (because last night was a late movie, monday was frisbee strategy meeting, sun was flying to ct etc...) but perhaps next week? i assume it is a weekly thing.

Anonymous said...

More or less. Best to check first -my cell is 0738205700.

Enjoy the night in.

Gareth said...

will do! tnx.

Anonymous said...

meneer,

Let me know if you have any questions. I consider myself pretty clued up on this blogging stuff!

s

Gareth said...

yes sir?

Thanks for the offer. I'll be sure to shoot you any questions i may come across. i have absolute faith in your 'pretty clued-up-ness', having seen the great ultitude website you did, as well as stumbling upon your name in numerous blogrolls around the country.

keep the discs flying! thanks for popping bye buddy.

G

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b