* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: take a risk

Thursday, 09 November 2006

take a risk

This came in an email today.

Sometimes I lie in bed and have to pinch myself (well, i don't really, but it is just something you say) as I think: Wow this is real! I am in America studying a Masters! It is something i wanted to do for ages and it amazingly happened. What a brave mouse I am. Studying further in a funny country.

I'm not too sure what I expected, but I seem to have acclimatised well. So, at other times i feel - Hey this is easy! Let me find something more challenging - what's next? Let's go to a two-thirds world country with challenges.
Then, i look at the bookmark i have with de Chardin's words on, and relax. Time to be present here, with the risks and easiness, and to wait and learn and to share. I'm trying.
~
~
Above all, trust in the slow work of God.
We are quite naturally impatient in everything to reach the end without delay.
We should like to skip the intermediate stages.
We are impatient of being on the way to something unknown, something new.
Yet it is the law of all progress that it is made by passing through some stages of instability and that may take a very long time.
.
And so I think it is with you.
Your ideas mature gradually. Let them grow.
Let them shape themselves without undue haste.
Do not try to force them on as though you could be today
what time - that is to say, grace - and circumstances
acting on your own good will, will make you tomorrow.
Only God could say what this new Spirit
gradually forming in you will be.
~ Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

No comments:

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b