Once upon a time ... a church quest.
When Julie moved down to Cape Town a couple of years back, she set out on a quest. A ‘God quest’ to be precise - trying to find a faith community. Together with Natalie, a mutual friend of ours, she visited many Methodist, Presby and other churches in Cape Town trying to find a place to belong. Alas, none was to be found. Whether the churches were too conservative or mono-cultural or old, nothing really grabbed these two pilgrims. To be fair, for Natalie, nothing really rivals Alan Storey's sermons and the work at Calvary Methodist in Midrand, and Julie wasn’t up to returning to the NCMI headspace or fold. They almost gave up the search, relishing the notion of a Sunday lie-in, when Natalie suggested they try the Quakers in Mowbray.
And they did. And liked it. And stayed.
And there they are to this day, happily ever after!
I’ve joined Jules at Quakers (or Friends, or Religious Society of Friends) a bunch of times, and really enjoy the way they ‘do church’ - or rather ‘don’t do church’. This specific community are silent worshippers, and ‘meeting for worship’ comprises an hour of silence, with everyone listening to what the Spirit may be saying to them at that time. For someone who used to be comfortable with 20 minutes of centering prayer on my prayer bench, trying to focus for an hour is tough. After a while of waiting/listening, members who feel so moved may stand up and say/sing/read/pray something. After the ‘ministry’ you have welcomes, notices and tea. I’d try to embellish, but in a sense you have to experience if for yourself. Sundays at 9:30, Quaker House, 2 Rye Road, Mowbray.
The community is fabulous - full of former anti-apartheid activists, an ex-deputy-minister of health, a world-famous mathematician and cosmologist, and a smattering of international Quakers visiting the city for a while. The work of the Quaker Peace Centre is worthwhile, and their witness to peace, non-violence, equality and inclusivity most inspiring. In fact, I’m wondering whether there are any ideas I can translate into a Presbyterian setting if/when I find myself in such a place. It also seems to me that a lot of the language they use, and the lack of creeds or ‘absolutes’, echoes the intentions of some of the emergent conversation I hear. Their ability to overcome bias and differences yet keep a fervent faith is also a crucial skill needed in today’s multicultural and pluralist world. Not to mention their powerful social justice work. Oxfam, Greenpeace and Amnesty International were all founded by Quakers. Most, most interesting!
Yesterday I picked up a little booklet at Quaker house that outlines what Quakers stand for etc. When I get the time, I’ll type some of the salient points up and post them here as an intro to this wonderfully open group of believers. I really like the space, openness with which they explain their beliefs.
So... stay tuned!










3 comments:
YAY for the light, relevant faith communities, AND BEAUTIFUL 'BRIDGET' PEOPLE!
There's something immensely powerful about gathering together to be silent, and incorporating it into liturgy is an exciting challenge!
very challenging indeed... but most necessary. we (the traditions i grew up in) seem to be afraid of silence, and to fill every minute of liturgy with music or words.
What ideas do you have Paddy?
Post a Comment