* the state/stage of gareth - a place where i used to document my life 'n times, theories 'n heresies, learnings 'n failings. it's still here, mainly just as archive, but once in a while i may post some things. for more up to date news, rather follow me on twitter at @MrBeyers * __the state of gareth__: 12 Days of Ultimate

Monday, 11 December 2006

12 Days of Ultimate

This weekend was the long awaited 12 Days of Christmas hat tournament, run by the Atlanta Flying Disc Club. The weather was perfect - two wonderful sunny days - I even got a bit of sunburn (in winter!) Everyone had told me that it was a great tournament, and guess what - they were right! 12 teams of 12 (that means 144 players if you weren't sure), four games on Saturday and the playoffs today. I was in team 2 - the green team. Our cry was "dos turtelos dovos" - someone thought that was 'two turtle doves' in Spanish. Our team was great and we had a good time. We lost our first 2 games, but then won the next 5 which put us in (dumdumdum) the FINAL! Yay! Most people were surprised that we got there, and to tell you the truth - so were we! Anyway, it was great to play with the sideline full of people hackling the players and cheering. We didn't stand much of a chance against the Aqua team, and lost 12:6 in the end, though not after some good playing. But I can say I played in the 12 Days final 06!


All in all, it was a great weekend. Laughs, food, new people and great Ultimate. I learnt quite a bit - really enjoying the depth and experience of players that Atlanta has. Now my legs get to rest for a month over the break, and then I will sign up for the Winter Goaltimate league (I'd never heard of Goaltimate before I arrived here, but everyone says it is great fun).
Oh yes- the best part of the weekend - apart from my hot green tee that i will wear everywhere, all the players got a disc too! Yes please!

No comments:

the life and times, learnings and failings, theories and heresies of gareth b