open-source software
I've been meaning to escape the expensive, monopolising clutches of Bill and his Microsoft world for some time now. Ever since Mark Shuttleworth brought out Ubuntu Linux, and Justin showed me how to use it, I've wanted to switch. My main reason is that it is free, something very viable in South Africa. Similar to John Kerry, I also like it simply because it isn't Windows (or Bush), and that you are encouraged to fiddle with the programming.
I haven't achieved my dream in it's entirety, but i did switch internet browsers a few weeks ago. Goodbye Internet Explorer 7.0, hello Mozilla Firefox. So far it has been great. My blog even looks better through Mozilla than IE. So, if you want to try something new, download it here. Even if it is just to read this blog ;) The next baby step is to change email software, and then maybe make the jump to Open Office before I Linux.










4 comments:
You are a nerd!
Well I think nerds are super cool. Don't you love just the meassage of open source stuff it calls us all in to question is that knowledge is to be shared and not to be exploited. If you look at the bottom figure of companies its always about bein better and enevetable the rich get richer and the poor get screwed. The eart and its knowledge is for everyone.
anyway just some nerdy info Microsoft has just released Vista. It really looks good which it should seens as you might have to cut off an arm to afford the computer to run it plus the software. Anyway did you know that 90% of all the new feature are not microsoft thought up as they claim no no its actually open source mixed with a little bit of apple. Can you handle. anyway G be the geek you are the geek and remember life is never clear through any windows!!
Okay...I'm so embarassed that I'm friends with the two of you right now.
Hi,
is this fellowship of nerds!
Have you checked out Plan-B for OpenOffice.org - the OOo help site for anti nerds
Enjoy!
Post a Comment